Being able to live independently and securely in your own home as you get older or when you have a disability is crucial. If you have a disability, are seriously ill or have age-related mobility problems, we may be able to make adaptations to your home to make independent life easier for you. 

In some cases that may mean making slight adjustments to help keep you are as safe as possible such as installing key safes or handrails. These types of alterations are known as 'aids and adaptations' and, depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible to have the alterations made to your home free of charge.

How we can help

We can help if you need minor aids and adaptations to help you live in your home such as:

  • grab-rails or handrails
  • door entry systems
  • key safes
  • lever taps
  • half steps.

Please fill out this form to request an adaptation

If you need other kinds of help

If you think you need other types of adaptation please contact your local authority for a professional needs assessment. This is especially needed if you require a larger scale adaptation such as a level access shower or ramp.

Once your local authority has arranged an assessment and agree an adaptation is needed, they will help with the funding and ask for approval from us. Once permission has been granted, we will then work closely with them and occupational therapists to ensure your needs are met. If alternate accommodation is required while works take place, your local authority will support with this.

There is also lots of technology available to help people to live independently through our Beep Assist service.

Click here to find out about Beep Assist

Making an alteration to your home 

If you simply want to make alterations to your home not related to any special needs you may have such as installing a fence, laying a patio or converting a loft, you can find out more about what you can do as a Futures customer and how to go about in on our home alterations page.

Click here to visit our home alterations page