If you are an existing Futures Housing Group customer in Derbyshire or Nottinghamshire, please click the button below.

My Account


If you are an existing Futures Housing Group customer in Northamptonshire, please click the button below.

My Account

Former Tenant Arrears FAQs

The following frequently asked questions aim to help people understand who to call and how to pay rent arrears even if they are no longer customers with Futures Housing Group.

What are former tenant arrears?

If you stop being a Futures Housing Group customer, and you still owe us money, we will not write it off.

We call these ‘former tenant arrears’. If you are struggling to pay, we will help you. If you choose not to pay us, this leaflet explains what we will do to recover what you owe us.

How can I make sure I have no arrears when I leave?

When you decide to leave your property you must give four weeks notice in writing (these four weeks are chargeable in rent). If you leave before this time you will be charged rent for the whole four-week notice period.

If you claim Universal Credit, you need to tell the benefits office the date you intend to leave the property. If you leave the property before the end of the four-week notice period, you will receive your housing benefit only up to the date you moved out. You will have to pay the difference up to the end of the tenancy.

What happens if a family member dies?

You must advise us of the death and of the date you intend to return the keys. We will send you a  termination form. You must complete this and return it with a copy of the death certificate. The tenancy will end on the following Monday after the keys have been returned. Please note that benefits will end within the week of the tenant’s death. Rent and other service charges will continue to be charged for the property until the keys are returned.

If I have arrears already, how do I arrange to pay them?

You can make an arrangement to pay any arrears you may have by contacting our Customer Services team on 0300 456 4531 or by email:

What action can we take to recover former tenant arrears?

If you leave your tenancy with arrears and do not give us your new address, we may use a tracing agency to find you. Once we have found you, we will contact you and give you the chance to make an arrangement to clear the arrears on your account. If you refuse to pay your arrears we will pass your details to a debt collection agency, or take court action to recover the debt. This may lead to extra legal costs.

Can I apply for another tenancy if I have former tenant arrears?

Any debts you have after ending a tenancy could stop you from being offered a property by Futures Housing Group or any other housing provider in the future. Details of your arrears will be included in any reference we provide regarding your tenancy, and could have a negative effect on your credit rating.

Who can I talk to for help?

We have a Money Advice Team which is dedicated to working with you to help you manage your money.  If you are in arrears, or struggling to pay your rent and bills, our money advice team are on hand to give advice, help set up new payment schemes and negotiate with other organisations on your behalf.

If you would like to book a session with our Money Advice Team, contact our Customer Services Team.

How can I pay my former tenant arrears?

There are a number of ways to pay with Futures Housing Group. Please visit our Ways To Pay page for details.

  • Last updated: 19/05/2016

©2017 Futures Housing Group | Futures Housing Group and Futures Greenscape.
Registered Office: Asher House, Asher Lane Business Park, Ripley, Derbyshire DE5 3SW. | Award Winning Design Agency – GSD®