Universal Credit is a new single payment for people who are looking for work or on a low income.
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Income Support
- Child Tax Credits
- Working Tax Credits
- Housing Benefit
What can you do to prepare?
This includes the following three main things you can do to prepare for Universal Credit.
- Ensure you have a clear rent account. If you need help or advice, please visit our rent and money advice pages.
- Get Online – Universal Credit is designed to be claimed online. Your claim starts on the day that you submit it to Department of Work & Pensions. If you do not have access to the internet, Jobcentres have computers you can use. If you are not confident using a computer, the Jobcentre can tell you about local services that can help you.
- Sort out a budget – As Universal Credit will be paid in one single payment, you will need to budget. The Universal Credit Personal Planner can help you prepare for the changes that the new service brings or contact us.
Watch this helpful video guide to the digital services available under Universal Credit which came into effect in Daventry in November 2016.
If you fall into arrears with your rent, please get in touch with us as soon as possible so we can help. Watch our 60-second guide to the arrears process or watch this short film to find out more about the support available to help you manage your money.